Friday, September 20, 2013

Practising and Being

Warning: This article is spiritual (as I understand)

I still remember the news that I heard sometime back where a temple priest was involved in sexual activities inside the temple itself!! MMS released, that created a stir, near the place kanchipuram.

I still see many Orthodox (so called) people, stubborn in their way of life, get skipped off in silly matters like passion, anger, etc. One of the butchery shop owner told me - " Nee yenna sami!! Andha kovil iyeru en kadaila dhaan vaangittu poraaru"..

As a Prabandham goes, the Lord Brahma who is very near to Maha Vishnu, himself has never seen Vishnu's divine feet. I could recollect my own circle of people, my elderly friends, relatives, old-age people, who seem to be excellent when it comes to practising religion, but get let down when it comes to common life. If that be so, is religion / spirituality is something that is off the normal way of life? Is practising religion / spirituality required or not? Especially when it does not have any impact on one's thought process in his routine life style....

I came across an interesting lecture which gave some good answers to me for this question. Below is the extract of it -

Knowledge, Discipline and Devotion are the path to salvation [Gnana, Vairaakyam, Bakthi]. This can be done as a practice [anushtaanam] or it can be your own character [swaroopam]. The later is superior [being it as a swaroopam].

As an example, if a person wants to quit smoking and he tries controlling himself, it takes a longer time to achieve success. Sometimes he might even fail. But however a non smoker doesn't feels difficult to stay without smoking. Both the people are trying to stay without smoking .But the latter feels easy to stay (instinctly) where the former tries his 100% always to keep himself calm.

I understand that Bakthi, as a state of mind should not be practised; rather it should be a part of one's personality. As a mother loves her child (and not practises to love everytime), so the bakthi should be, which should come instinctly from within.

What if it does not comes from within? I do not feel like loving the God.. So what can I do... simply nothing... But probably one answer which i can feel now is - better look into those people who are roaming around with bakthi... I would feel better then.

I have a client who always is punctual. Within 2 or 3 encounters with him, I started being punctual. My efforts for being punctual is very minimal. Just that the simple change that i had from within made me stay punctual (atleast with that client). Where I had lot of excuses with other people on my time management, with this guy i am the most disciplined person (with little or even no efforts).

Once this bakthi (divine love) creeps in the mind, then automatically we withdraw ourselves from all the other external pleasures (with no efforts). This is what is real vairaagyam. Then gnana is automatic.

Good day

1 comment:

  1. An excellent write up! I do believe that when the actions are result of "Vairaagyam", people are actually trying to put up a face or show off or trying to demonstrate things to others. When they should be busy impressing none. That is, in any case, a wrong way to live. "Swaroopam" way sounds the right way, wherein all the actions are results of subconscious thought process. Again, it was a wonderful write up.

    Cheers!
    GSM

    ReplyDelete