Sunday, July 17, 2011

Have you every worshipped xxx... welcome to my group (Adults only)

Now its approx 11.30 p.m. and I am writing this blog. I am not exactly in a sexually inclined mood now (though my topic title would resemble so).

Neither am I going to write something on Vatsyayana's works (in btw, eventhough I havent read the entire text, the first part 5 chapters are drafted well.. which talks about the generic nature of human and the purpose of life in a very simple way.. according to me, its a gateway to the past)

For a long time, what I am discussing here is guarded as an evident secret.. I mean that which is evident, but still not talked of. That which everyone sees everywhere, which forms part of life but was not spoken of. Definitely I am not talking about sex here.

Indian way of worshipping is, so far, subject to higher level of criticisms in terms of blind believes, etc. Modern thinkers feel that worshipping should be more logical (involves mental part and not too much of emotional parts). But name any temple in India, you will find only the emotional part standing up first; a story attached to that temple (say, an epic related one); some guy was in trouble for sometime and the Deity came up for the rescue. Hence the temple.

Different Gods, different names, different postures, different purpose and they are all for different devotees.. But then there was one form of God which is a tremendous perception of ancient Indians.. that of Lord Shiva.. Now I am not speaking about the one with four hands, riding on an Ox and slays the demons.

I am talking about the simple form of Linga (an Inverted "U" with a base), which has been a topic of meditation from time immemorial in India.

This Lingam has two parts - one is an inverted U (cylindrical formation) and a base (most commonly referred to as Aavudai). The prayers on Lingam has been found in both Yajur Veda (Upanishads) and also in Atharvana Veda. This is the form that is a representation of Lord Shiva, is said to be fit for meditation practice.

On a careful look, it appears to me (rather its an accepted proposition) that this inverted U would resemble the male genital and the base (Aavudai) would represent the femal organ - the combo of these two signifying creation.

I cannot just imagine a set of people who dare to think on a sexual process as a form of God and start building temples on that - as I said, something which is made public but not spoken of. I could say that this is the most abstract form of worship.. to mean that I pray the act of creation. We dont talk sex here but we talk pure logic.

Further an irony is that in sanskrit the term "Linga" could mean a mark or a cylinder or a male sex organ. I could say that there is every possibility that this shape of God could only mean a Union, nothing else. That can be male and female; or can be perceived as space and time; or whatever.

But the fact remains that we people are too good in visualising and abstractions.

Let see further.

No comments:

Post a Comment